200+ Organic Crops, Livestock, and Handling Input Materials are up for Sunset Review at the NOSB Spring 2015 Meeting. Let your voice be heard: complete OTA surveys or send direct feedback.
SUNSET REVIEW SURVEYS
- READ NOSB MEETING MATERIALS: NOSB releases Spring 2015 meeting agenda and materials
- PARTICIPATE: Use OTA’s survey system to provide feedback on inputs under sunset review
- REGISTER: OTA webinar on navigating the online survey system offered next week
Your feedback is needed! Over the course of its next two meetings, the National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) will review the large majority of the fertilizers, pest control products, processing aids, and ingredients currently allowed for use by certified organic operations. These production inputs will be reviewed and voted on by NOSB based on their Sunset timelines (October 2016 or 2017), and may not be renewed if new information indicates these substances are incompatible with organic production.
It’s critical that NOSB hear from certified farmers and handlers prior to the April 2015 NOSB meeting on whether these inputs are consistent with and necessary for organic production, or whether there are other effective natural or organic alternatives available. To help facilitate a robust comment process, OTA has created a survey system for collecting feedback from certified farms and processors. The information collected will help NOSB identify the production and handling inputs that should be renewed or removed from the National List.
Below you will find links to electronic surveys that can be used to submit feedback on each individual input currently under NOSB review. Each survey is CONFIDENTIAL and contains about 10 short questions that will take an estimated 5 minutes to complete. You will also find the NOSB overview of each material (by crops, livestock and handling) if you would like to learn more.
2017 MATERIALS UNDER SUNSET REVIEW
NOSB will be discussing the 2017 materials at the spring meeting (April 2015) and voting on the materials at the fall meeting (October 2015). Feedback on these materials is critical for inclusion in the upcoming spring discussion and subsequent vote in the fall.
2017 Sunset Feedback Surveys
2016 MATERIALS UNDER SUNSET REVIEW
NOSB will be voting on the 2016 materials at the spring meeting (April 2015). While discussions on these materials took place during the fall meeting (October 2014), OTA will share your feedback with NOSB in advance of the vote.
2016 Sunset Feedback Surveys: Sunset Review
OTA Webinar: Learn about OTA’s online sunset review surveys
OTA is conducting a webinar that will provide an overview of NOSB’s National List Sunset Review process and instructions on how organic stakeholders can weigh in through an online survey system. The webinar will take place on Friday, March 20, at 10 a.m. PST/1 p.m. EST. Speakers will include Gwendolyn Wyard, OTA’s Senior Director of Regulatory and Technical Affairs, and Nate Lewis, OTA’s Senior Crops and Livestock Specialist. There is no fee to participate in this webinar. Please register here.
Contact OTA staff with questions or concerns
Senior Director of Regulatory and Technical Affairs
Senior Crops and Livestock Specialist
Upcoming NOSB meeting & agenda
The next National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) meeting will be held April 27-30 in La Jolla, CA, at the San Diego Marriott La Jolla.
- Tentative meeting agenda
- Meeting materials (all proposals and discussion documents)
- Subcommittee proposals (select from drop-down menu)
- Visit regulations.gov (use docket number AMS-NOP-15-0002 for more information and to submit direct comments)
The final deadline to submit written comments and sign up for oral comments is Tuesday, April 7, at midnight Eastern.
Major topics to be discussed
(does not include ALL agenda items)
- 2016 and 2017 Sunset Review Materials
- Prevention Strategy Guidance for Excluded Methods in Crops
- Methionine for Poultry (Livestock, Feed Additive) – petition for revised annotation
- Alternative Livestock Healthcare Treatments – petition for addition to National List
- Ammonium Hydroxide (Handling, Boiler Chemical) – petition for addition to the National List
- Ancillary Substances for Microorganisms (Handling) - proposal
- Glycerin (Handling) – petition for removal from the National List
- Contamination Issues in Farm Inputs
- Excluded Methods Terminology