Call for Nominations to Serve on NOSB
The National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) is a Federal Advisory Committee that provides advice and recommendations to the Secretary of Agriculture on the implementation of the Organic Foods Production Act. NOSB members are volunteers and come from across the organic community. Each member is appointed by the Secretary of Agriculture to a five-year term.
USDA seeks nominations for the following five (5) positions to serve on the NOSB from January 2017 to January 2022:
- Organic producer who owns or operates an organic operation;
- Individual with expertise in areas of environmental protection and resource conservation;
- Representative of a public or consumer interest group;
- Organic handler or processor who owns or operates an organic handling operation; and
- Scientist (toxicology, ecology or biochemistry).
Additionally, the USDA is seeking nominations for a pool of candidates to fill future unexpected vacancies in any of the seven position categories, should unexpected vacancies occur. A person appointed to fill a vacancy will serve for the remainder of the 5-year term of the vacant position.
Committee member duties include:
- Attending committee meetings (travel paid by USDA)
- Participating in bi-monthly subcommittee conference calls
- Reviewing materials and/or recommending changes to the National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances
- Advising the Secretary on other aspects of the USDA organic regulations
Written nominations must include a cover letter, resume, and an AD-755 Application Form, and must be postmarked on or before June 3, 2016.
- Call for Nominations Flyer (PDF)
- Press Release: USDA Seeks Nominations for the National Organic Standards Board
- Federal Register Notice: Intent to Renew Charter and Call for Nominations (Includes Application Instructions) (PDF)
- NOSB Membership AD755 Application (PDF)
- Criteria for NOSB Membership (PDF)
For more information, visit NOSB Nominations Webpage
About the Agricultural Marketing Service
USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) facilitates the competitive and efficient marketing of agricultural products. Through its National Organic Program, AMS facilitates trade and ensures the integrity of organic agricultural products by consistently implementing organic standards and enforcing compliance with the regulations throughout the world. Learn more.