2018 INPUTS UNDER SUNSET REVIEW
Over the course of its next two meetings, NOSB will review several of the fertilizers, pest control products, processing aids, and ingredients currently allowed for use by certified organic operations. These production and handling inputs will be reviewed and voted on by NOSB based on their 2018 Sunset timeline (renewal date), and may not be renewed if new information indicates these substances are incompatible with organic production. It’s critical that NOSB hear from certified farmers and handlers prior to the April 2016 NOSB meeting on whether these inputs are consistent with and necessary for organic production, or whether there are other effective natural or organic alternatives available.
To help facilitate a robust comment process, OTA has created a survey system for collecting feedback from certified farms and processors. Below are links to electronic surveys that can be used to submit feedback on each individual input currently under NOSB review. Each survey is CONFIDENTIAL, and contains about 10 short questions that will take an estimated five minutes to complete.
NOSB will be discussing the 2018 Sunset inputs at the spring meeting (April 2016) and voting at the fall meeting (November 2016). Feedback on the necessity of these inputs is critical for inclusion in the upcoming spring discussion and subsequent vote in the fall.
It’s critical that organic stakeholders weigh in by the April 6, 2016 comment deadline and explain whether these inputs are consistent with and necessary for organic production, or whether there are other effective natural or organic alternatives available.
Each survey contains about 10 short questions will take an estimated 5 minutes to complete.
- See more at: https://www.ota.com/advocacy/organic-standards/allowed-and-prohibited-inputs/feedback-surveys-sunset-review/2018-surveys
• Copper Sulfate
• Ozone gas
• Peracetic acid (for use in disinfecting equipment, seed, and asexually propagated planting material)
• Peracetic acid (for use to control fire blight bacteria)
• EPA List 3 – Inerts of Unknown Toxicity
• Calcium chloride
§ 205.605(a) - Allowed non-agricultural non-synthetics
• Animal enzymes
• Calcium sulfate—mined
• Glucono delta-lactone—production by the oxidation of D-glucose with bromine water is prohibited.
• Tartaric acid—made from grape wine.
§ 205.605(b) – Allowed non-agricultural synthetics
• Cellulose—for use in regenerative casings, as an anti-caking agent (non-chlorine bleached) and filtering aid.
• Potassium hydroxide—prohibited for use in lye peeling of fruits and vegetables except when used for peeling peaches.
• Silicon dioxide—Permitted as a defoamer. Allowed for other uses when organic rice hulls are not commercially available.
§ 205.606 – Allowed non-organic agricultural ingredients when organic is not available
• Beta-carotene extract color—derived from carrots or algae (pigment CAS#7235-40-7).
See more at: https://www.ota.com/advocacy/organic-standards/allowed-and-prohibited-inputs/feedback-surveys-sunset-review/2018-surveys#sthash.oukK4eYS.dpuf